EXERCISE PLANNING SPECIALIST
CCEM Strategies is expanding! We have an immediate opening for a highly motivated, organized and detail-oriented candidate to join our team as Exercise Planning Specialist.
The Exercise Planning Specialist will provide consultative advice and project support to clients in the design, development, conduct and reporting of innovative emergency and continuity management exercises. Aiming to enhance resilience while aligning with regulatory requirements, industry standards and best practices, the ideal candidate will be a natural leader and facilitator, with experience designing and facilitating exercises including drills, tabletop, functional and full scale. The Exercise Planning Specialist will also deliver emergency management and business continuity training, and provide general support for client projects as required.
With experience working in multiple sectors, including industry and government, the successful candidate must be an excellent communicator, with a tactful and strategic approach to facilitation. A detail-oriented self-starter, with the ability to work effectively under minimal supervision. The applicant must also possess excellent planning skills, hold high professional standards and have the ability to build and maintain solid relationships with multiple stakeholders.
The following responsibilities are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive; other duties may be required and assigned:
- Develop and facilitate interactive emergency and business continuity exercises, ranging in size and scale from internal, discussion-based tabletop exercises, to inter-agency, full-scale operations-based exercises;
- Design exercise evaluation criteria and materials based on exercise objectives; prepare timely reports to accurately reflect the outcome of exercises and learnings to drive continuous improvement for clients;
- Develop and publish exercise specific documents (Exercise Facilitation Plan, Master Sequence of Events List, Control Plan, Player Handbook, After Action Reports, and Corrective Action Plans);
- Develop and document exercise and training programs; detail competency requirements, approaches and mechanisms to support continual improvement; align with regulatory requirements and industry best practices;
- Work with the Training Specialist to inform training outlines and learning goals; deliver tailored and interactive emergency management and business continuity training; design and facilitate exercises to complement and reinforce training;
- Implement effective project management strategies and approaches. Contribute to efficient ongoing project management and ensure successful execution and completion of both small and large-scale projects;
- Assist in the management of reporting regarding project and deliverable status, task completion, and resource expenditures;
- Provide strong guidance to clients on emergency preparedness and response regulations, industry standards and best practices;
- Develop and update emergency response plans for clients under various jurisdictions and authorities, ensuring compliance and implementation of best practices;
- Perform technical writing functions that includes editing plans and reports, and writing at the appropriate level for the target audience. Perform difficult professional and administrative work involving a wide range of technical and administrative activities;
- Conduct research, analyses and take appropriate measures to correct problems within the scope of responsibilities;
- Assist in proposal development for current and potential clients;
- Support the team on contracts and work with clients as required;
- Occasional travel may be required.
Required Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- A combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in Emergency Management, Business Continuity or related field, supplemented by emergency and continuity management training from a local, provincial or federal emergency management agency;
- Exercise planning professional demonstrating progressive years of experience in designing, developing, executing, and evaluating internal, and inter-agency exercises for government and/or industry;
- 5 years’ experience in exercise planning and emergency management;
- Certified Incident Command System (ICS) Trainer preferred;
- Outstanding communication, presentation, and facilitation skills;
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication, skills;
- Comprehensive knowledge and skill in emergency and continuity management, exercise planning, facilitation, and project management to provide high level consulting services;
- Experience in adult education including facilitation, design and development; knowledge of Adult Learning Theory an asset;
- Project management experience with a demonstrated ability to manage complex projects effectively (set clear goals, identify roadblocks, design solutions, and track progress against deadlines);
- Ability to analyze, troubleshoot, think critically, make recommendations;
- Ability to translate complex concepts into tangible and functional products;
- Ability to engage collaboratively and effectively with internal and external teams, clients and other associated stakeholders;
- Advanced skill level with all Microsoft Office applications;
- Must speak fluent English with excellent writing skills, grammar, punctuation and spelling;
- Ability to carry out detailed and sometimes involved instructions in written and oral form;
- Ability to be self-motivated and self-managed.
Successful candidates must pass a Criminal Record Check and sign an employment and confidentiality agreement.
Job Type & Location
- Permanent Full Time Employee (40 hours per week)
- Located in Vancouver, BC
- Language of work: English
Compensation & Benefits
- Starting salary of $65,000 to $80,000 per year, dependent on candidate’s skills and experience.
- Eligible for annual performance management program (bonus).
- Benefits package includes:
- Three (3) weeks paid vacation
- One (1) week paid sick leave
- Professional development stipend
- Payment of BC Provincial Medical Services Plan (MSP) fees.
Application Deadline: 30 September, 2017
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and detailed resume highlighting qualifications, skills, and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org